Saturday, October 10, 2009

one year later, where will I be?

I think it was one year ago today when I had my Peace Corps interview. I was so nervous, so hopeful I would be nominated. I never imagined that a year later, I'd have already been evacuated after three months of service.
I suppose this shows you that life is completely unpredictable, in and out of Peace Corps. Who knows where I'll be a year from now! I might still be in Peace Corps, somewhere in Africa, or perhaps on another continent. I might be in the US, or even in France. I might look back on this blog and reflect again on how much things change.

For now, I'm still in Mali, completely unsure of what my next step will be.
Today, Peace Corps took us into Bamako to an "American Club" with a pool and tennis courts. I think they wanted for us to relax and unwind.
I didn't feel well today... I think I may be dehydrated. I felt like I got hit by a train. I felt exhausted and inexplicably sad about everything and nothing in particular, but I did swim a little in a sports bra and boxer shorts (I didn't pack my bathing suit in my emergency bag!) My friends in Peace Corps have been incredibly supportive.

From what I understand, some Peace Corps staff from Washington DC will be arriving on Tuesday to tell us more about our options. I will let you know then what's available to me and what I'll decide.

Oh and I have a lot of free time here, so please email me!

2 comments:

Brandon said...

Hi Jess,
My name's Brandon. I happened upon your blog from http://www.peacecorpsjournals.com/
I hope it's not too weird that a complete stranger is leaving a comment on your blog:)

I'm a PCV in Ukraine, but almost exactly a year ago I was a PCV in the Republic of Georgia, where the program there, like yours, had to be evacuated to the neighboring country of Armenia and was suspended (and just recently reopened), because of the conflict with Russia. I just found your blog interesting because I also was in a similar situation exactly a year ago. And you are so right, life is very unpredictable, especially in the PC realm. The events happening in Guinea are terrible, but they're only abstract events for me to read about. But for you and your fellow PCVs it's very real, and I immediately thought about all of you when I read about the events happening in Guinea. It must be very difficult for you PCVs and of course even more so for the locals that you've met, and the PC-Guinea staff that you have. Also, maybe it's a little different for you, but for us Georgian PCVs, the month-long interim period in Armenia was difficult and long, filled with ripe emotions and difficult decisions of what to do next. But PC did a good job of trying to keep us busy and entertained with excursions to the capital city and to a local beach on a lake. It sounds like they're doing something similar for you too?

But I hope the near future goes well for you and your friends, and hope that you'll soon be able get on with your life, wherever this unpredictable life takes you. Good luck with everything!

jess said...

Thanks Brandon! That comment is very thoughtful and your support means a lot to me. I'm glad to know that you made it through a similar thing...