Thursday, July 9, 2009

first entry from Guinea

I am here. It's humid and beautiful and wet. The smells and the streets and the market and so many things remind me of Niger, but it is also very different and new and unique. More green. More wet. More people.

I wish I had time to sit and describe everything. It's indescribable, of course. I have that slight nausea that I pretty much always had in Niger, but nothing serious. Not dizzy anymore (for those of you who got my first email) because the medical officer gave me electrolytes and water and told me I was dizzy because of dehydration (from the airline people being stingy with water) and low blood sugar.

Just got back from the beach. Beautiful sunset. Dirty water. Dirty dog. No electricity at bar. Being called "fote" by all random Guineans. Guess what that means! Yep. "White person." I find it amusing, and not at all offensive. Much like being called "anasara" in Niger.

I won't have internet for much longer because I'm leaving for training in a few days, so snail mail me or text me. I got a Guinean cell phone... email me before the 12th for the number. Or get it from Joy.
You can text me anytime, but if you want to call, the best time is the weekends. It's 7 hours earlier here. Please text before calling to see if I can take the call. And the cheapest thing is to search online for African phone cards and find the best rate for Guinea.

I love you all!

1 comment:

NIGER1.COM said...

So you were in Niger read Niger newson www.niger1.com