Thursday, June 4, 2009

practicing my French

I got an email from the PC Guinea desk yesterday, saying that they had received my resume and aspiration statement. They said that my staging (2-3 day orientation before departure) is in Philadelphia on July 6-7. I will be receiving my staging instructions soon.
Then they said that I should practice my French, ideally completing 40 hours of Rosetta Stone before I leave.
I looked at Rosetta Stone online that is provided for Peace Corps invitees and found that it was much too basic. Still, I guess it's helpful to practice speaking it anyway, even if it's just like "je mange une pomme et du riz..."
Since I am already somewhat fluent in French, I have decided to read some novels out loud to practice spoken French and my accent. I am starting with something I read in one of my senior French classes: Ecriture feminine en Afrique et aux Antilles. The novel is called La Petite Peule by Mariama Barry, a woman born in Senegal of Guinean descent.
This book is actually quite à propos to my assignment because it talks about Peuhl customs and traditions, and the Peuhl is the largest ethnic group in Guinea-- about 40 percent of the population. And part of the novel actually takes place in Guinea.

Je vous aime!

No comments: