Friday, June 26, 2009

packing and tying loose ends

The sky in Phoenix looks bigger today, with clouds streaked everywhere. This makes the world seem small, which I find comforting, considering that I'll be traveling halfway across it in about 9 days...

I am not very good at packing, so my mom is coming over on Sunday to help. She told me just to lay everything I'm bringing out on the bed and she'll organize it and make it fit in my suitcases. But the big problem is laying out the things to bring!
I have several packing lists from several sources and I am trying to combine this with my own knowledge about what I think I'll need and what I'll never use.

I went to Goodwill the other day, at my dad's suggestion, to find a second suitcase and found a pretty nice Samsonite for only 13 dollars. I also went shopping today and got a few more clothing items, some toiletries, a Swiss Army carry-on bag and some crayons and construction paper for the kids.
I will do my last minute shopping next week, when I have more money... I ran out of funds today! (Toiletries can be expensive.)

Stuff I still need (well not need, because I don't really need anything) but would like to pack:
-a solar battery charger and a Solio H1000 charger
-an iPod (I'm crossing my fingers for a miracle on this one)
-earplugs
-coloring books and magazines for the kids
-postcards for homestay family gifts
-16 passport photos
-a bunch of family photos for when I get homesick

I guess I'll just go down the Peace Corps list and make sure to set aside all the needed stuff and then get rid of or store all my other stuff. I will just leave a couple of boxes at my sister's house and my mom's house and the rest will have to go. It is hard to get rid of stuff, but also liberating. In fact, the universe told me the other day that in order to be free, you have to let go.
(By the way, Jessica, that includes getting rid of stressful thoughts!)

My going-away party is tomorrow at my sister's house. I get to say goodbye to my family and closest friends. The world is small. The sky is vast. Everything is perfect.

No comments: