Wednesday, May 13, 2009

spoke to Placement Officer today

Just got off the phone with my placement officer. She asked some questions about my skills and background in math. She was wondering why I was nominated for a math teaching position when I had a degree in French and Creative Writing. I told her that I had an extensive background in engineering which included a lot of math courses beyond calculus.
She said that my application is what she calls an "almost match." She said that I am basically qualified for math teaching since I've taken at least calculus 1 and 2, but that since I have no declared minor or major in math or a related field, she will have to call my host country and ask them if they want me anyway.
She then said that she will call me as soon as she gets the answer. If the answer is no, she will try to place me in another program, either teaching English or as a Community Development volunteer.
Then she asked whether I had any questions. I asked her about her experience as a volunteer in Senegal. She said it was hard, but good-- pretty much the standard answer from returned volunteers. Then I asked her if she could tell me which country I might be going to teach math. She said she can't tell me and that I will find out when I get an invitation.

So I still don't have a timeline or location, but it's looking like Africa, and it's looking like July.

No comments: