Tuesday, May 26, 2009

I received my invitation today

Someone rang my doorbell and it was a FedEx guy with a big fat envelope from Peace Corps. I signed for it and went back inside. I sat for a moment with my friend Diane, holding the envelope in my hands, relishing the moment before I knew my life would change, before opening it to find large blue folder containing all kinds of information and documents.
Long story short, I am invited to serve as an Education Volunteer (secondary math) in the Republic of Guinea. My orientation begins on July 6-8, followed by my three months training in Guinea and two years service, ending in September of 2011.
I have ten business days to respond.

What's my response? Easy. Yes.
I am experiencing an array of emotions along the spectrum between fear and love. But I have to say that love always wins.
I am writing a list of all the things I need to take care of before I leave, which include getting rid of my car and my dog, storing my books, paying some bills, canceling my cell phone service and gym membership, and others...

Here is some information on Guinea, a Francophone West African country.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/country_profiles/1032311.stm

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/gv.html

1 comment:

Stacy Co said...

I'm so proud of you and I love you very much, friend.