Wednesday, September 23, 2009

swearing in on Friday!

Well the 11 week training in Forecariah is now over and I am in Conakry, preparing to swear in as a Peace Corps volunteer on Friday, the 25th.
We had a farewell ceremony in Forecariah today, where I gave a speech in Pular to thank the host families and community for hosting us and to thank the Peace Corps trainers for teaching us local languages and how to teach in Guinea. My Pular abilities are still pretty low, so I'm sure I massacred the speech, but it's the thought that counts, right?
I'll try to post pictures of the ceremony tomorrow.

I will be here in Conakry for the next few days. I'll be buying things for my house in Timbo and getting ready for site installation. I have to get things I won't find in the villages, like a gas stove and toilet paper! I am excited to be able to live on my own after having lived all this time with a Guinean family. They were wonderful, but I do miss my independence and being able to choose my food and cook for myself.

The last few weeks of training went by so fast because I was so busy teaching summer school review courses to Guinean students. It was incredibly exhausting and difficult, but rewarding and fulfilling as well. I am looking forward to teaching my students in my village in a couple of weeks when school starts.

The rainy season is coming to a rather sudden end. Last week it was pouring constantly and now it only gets cloudy. I got so used to bringing my umbrella everywhere, it feels strange being able to leave it behind when I walk.

Here is a six word summary of the last two and half months:
rain, rice, spiders, chalk,
yoga, sleep

Mmmm. Sleep. I'm tired, so I'll write more in the next few days.

Love you all.

No comments: