Monday, November 22, 2010

I am a volunteer, again

I attended my second swearing-in ceremony this morning and swore in as a volunteer. I gave a speech in Spanish to thank the host families. My host mom came to support me. I was sad to say goodbye to her. She has been such a good mom and I will miss her. We sang the national anthem and Nicaragua's national hymn, and the US ambassador led the swear-in. We took a grip of pictures... well everyone else did. (My camera doesn't work so well lately.)
After the ceremony, I went with my girls Meg and Kellz and we treated ourselves to a celebratory McFlurry. For dinner, all of the new volunteers of NICA 54 went to our country director's home for an "early Thanksgiving dinner" celebration. She made us turkey, vegetables, yams, stuffing, pies and more. It was delicious and we were all very thankful for some familiar food.
Tomorrow I am making my way to my site. It will be a long trip with lots of bags and chaos on the buses, so wish me luck.

No comments: