Saturday, August 1, 2009

On jaarama!

That's a greeting in Pular, the langauge I have started to learn. I have been assigned to a town called Timbo, in the Fouta Djalon region of Guinea and I will beging teaching in October, after training for another 8 weeks.

For now, I am still in Forecariah but we came to Conakry for the day to use the internet and visit a museum.
Forecariah is an interesting town. Electricity comes on randomly for a few hours every other night or so.
I eat a lot of really spicy sauce with white rice. It's seriously soooo spicy that it is hard to eat sometimes. And you know me! I LOVE spicy food. But seriously, it's too much here.

Training is tough but I find the joy in small things like yoga, Coca-Cola and avocados. The avocados are huge here. I live with a Susu family and they have named me "M'Balou Camara." The Camara family is pretty nice, but I also spend a lot of time at the neighbors' house. My trainee friend Scotty aka "Alimatou" lives next door and I visit her a lot and eat her food! It's much less spicy! Her host sister braided my hair the other day and it looks pretty good. Only took her five hours! I will send pics next time I am in Conakry when I have more time, inshallah (God willing)
It rains a lot.
Lots of spiders.
Mouse in my room.
Chickens. Goats. Cats. Dogs.

Keep in touch! I have only got two letters so far! Thanks to Aunt Sharon and Joy!
Bon. I love you all! Bye!

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Hey so if someone was to want to send a little something your way do you have any requests? I scored a few school supplies, (target has back to school sales right now) since you said your were gonna be teaching, but not sure if you are teaching adults or kids. I must say I think it is f'ing awesome that you joined the Peace Corps.
Kathleen

jess said...

Oh yeah! School supplies would be wonderful! I am teaching 9th and 10th grade math. Guinean classrooms are only equipped with chalkboards and desks. So masking tape would be bomb, so I can hang up pictures on the cement walls! Other things that could help would be pencils, paper, etc.
Thanks so much for the support!